Driver Trash & Recycling Collection – Residential
500 – 700 stops / day
REPORTS TO: Route Manager
Operate heavy-duty trucks. Responsible for collection of residential trash or recyclable material. Transport material to transfer or recycle facility when truck reaches legal load capacity. Safely maneuver vehicle in residential environment. Navigate high traffic and congested roadways, alleyways, driveways and lots.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To be successful, an individual must be able to perform the following tasks.
- Operate vehicle in accordance with HDBJ rules, OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and DOT (Department of Transportation) requirements as well as all local, state and federal laws.
- Perform pre / post trip truck inspections to ensure safe operating condition. Document using standard DVIR (Driver’s Vehicle Inspection Report).
- Immediately report all unsafe situations or service related issues to Route Manager or Dispatch.
- Perform visual inspection, diagnosis and repair of electrical, hydraulic, suspension, brake and air systems on vehicles and equipment
- Notify Dispatch, CSR’s (Customer Service Representatives) or Route Manager of service interruptions including blocked carts, closed or impassable streets or alleyways, carts too heavy to service.
- Notify Route Manager or Dispatch of equipment breakdown or other maintenance issue.
- Communicate customer requests to CSR’s, Dispatch or Route Manager.
- Operate automated or semi-automated tipping device to empty carts.
- Completely empty all carts and leave customer location in better shape than when you arrived -- clean and free of debris.
- Identify and report all carts in need of repair or replacement.
- Communicate with customer via “Cart Tag” system to report problems or make requests.
- Follow route assignment as directed and complete end of day documentation, clean truck and compactor body and refuel vehicle.
- Perform all duties as scheduled by Route Manager and assist other drivers as directed to meet customer needs.
- Regular, predictable attendance.
The requirements listed are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
- Education / Experience
- Education: High School Diploma or GED.
- Experience: None required.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Hold current Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License or be willing to obtain.
- Possess current Medical Examiner’s Certificate or be willing to obtain.
- Acceptable driving record.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Listed are key points regarding the physical requirements and work environment of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with arm, hand, finger and leg dexterity.
- May be required to frequently dismount and remount truck to collect material.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than 75 lbs. occasionally.
- Requires pushing, pulling, bending, twisting and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Normal setting for this job is outdoors and / or driving a GPS monitored vehicle.
- Will be exposed to a physical environment which involves dust, dirt, residue, odor, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday.
Position Type / Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday. Work shifts vary and will include some Saturday hours after holidays or in the event of inclement weather. Shifts also may include overtime.